Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Two-Sentences Game

Write a sentence that suggests a narrative.
Write another sentence that furthers the story.
There should be tension between the two sentences.

Suggestions: define "tension" however you want. Try writing the first sentence without thinking about the second sentence. Then write the second sentence.

You could play this with a friend. You trade off writing second sentences to each other's first sentences.

-------
He ate my portion. But I didn't know until after I kissed him.

-------
Gently, I touched her hair. She cursed.

-------
I walked for hours before I found the store. Why was my brother working behind the counter?

-------
She always lied to me about David. If I'd read her novel, I'd have known the truth.

-------
He could do magic. Still, he dressed like a pig.

-------
He looked back at me, matching my own bewildered stare. It was my reflection in a window.

-------
She stretched out on the back-yard grass, watched the night sky, and listened to the wind moving through the leaves. She giggled.

-------
The air was fragrant and soft under the big pines. Then she saw the bear.

-------
I long for war. It's the only time I see you.

-------
The doorbell rang. All was lost.

-------
I tried not to wince as he licked my knuckles. I used to long for this.

-------
She took a small bite. Jesus, how long would it take her to finish the whole thing?

-------
It looked so harmless. Then I stuck my finger in it.

-------
I didn't want to believe. The book said I had to.

-------
The screaming was horrendous. Then he turned the page.

-------
It was mine. So I smashed the glass and took it.

-------
She looked carefully into his eyes. There it was. .

-------
He read it carefully. Then he read it again.

-------
She moved against the hand on her body. Then she wondered whose hand it was.

-------
They rubbed and rubbed their hands. The chalk still would not come off.

-------
He paused to brush a tendril of hair from my eyes. Then I saw the extra digit.

-------
She felt the hand move up her back. Surely it was a hand.

-------
This is lots of fun. It can't be healthy.

-------
Justice has finally graced us. Although, the whole truth is yet to be revealed.

-------
The engine's whining stopped. Now the sound of the river could be plainly heard.

-------
I thought his words spoke truth. I was so very wrong.

-------
He stood in the darkness, looking up at the stars contemplating the next move he would make. What was that sound?

-------
He finished writing the final chapter. So how would it all begin?

-------
Her eloquence swept him off his feet. She was full of shit, of course.

-------
It wasn't until the Big Mac began snarling into the curdling bowels of his essence that he realized his mistake. Still, to cover the guilt of his gluttony, he went for seconds.

-------
The wind blew through her hair, reminding her of days gone by. With an effort, she shut the door of the hurricane shelter.

-------
He brushed her hair aside and grinned. She bared her fangs and snapped.

-------
So, there you have it: e=mc2. Can I undress you now?

-------
He pondered his punctuation for a long time. When he looked up she was already gone.

-------
As the day wore on it grew increasingly hot and sticky. Pepsi doesn't taste good like that.

-------
She squeezed her father's hand so hard it broke. He never hit her again.

-------
It smelled like slow death in there. At least, that's what it said in the script.

-------
Spinning out of control they slammed into a pole. The kid in the green bumper car #4 screamed with joy.

-------
He greeted everyone politely. Then he taunted them with his vacation plans.

-------
Shannon regretted the overly broad interpretation of information theory. Rhineheart only regretted the extra serving of ice cream.

-------
His tongue reached for the ice cream. But it had already fallen through the hammock.

-------
The peaceful lake stretched out before him like glass. As he sank the cool water closed in around him.

-------
She scanned the distant purple ridge but saw nothing except its sharp edge against the hard blue sky. A shadow flickered just beyond the river.

-------
The night was long and the dew gathered on the grass. Then the morning came.

-------
The cute little bird hopped around at the river bank. The alligator smiled.

-------
The flowers stretched all the way to the ceiling. It was really hideous wallpaper.

-------
As she walked, the cool breeze blew through her hair. The gun at her back was all the encouragement she needed to keep walking.

-------
She was a compact bundle of fun. Her hair really was green.

-------
The darkness had now, finally, completely enveloped him. He suspected there was more to blinking than this.

-------
Seeing him with his pants around his ankles, she imagined the worst. He was still in the process of simply getting them on in the first place.

-------
We could hear children laughing just over the hill. Then, it got dark.

No comments: